Sunday, October 28, 2012

Classroom Management

From my field reflection...

Firstly, I got a chance to observe the implementation of a new seating chart in each of the classes and how students react to this change. Mrs. M uses a rainbow colored carpet which is divided into squares like a grid; each student has an assigned square which they sit on during demonstration and discussion, usually at the beginning of the class. When the students arrived, the new carpet seating chart was visible on the smartboard and students were instructed to find their new square. After a discussion of the day's planned activities, Mrs M called the students one by one to their new table spot, which, I believe, was arranged according to columns on the chart. This method of calling them one at a time from the carpet seemed more efficient than the musical chairs I remember sometimes experiencing as a student. 

 I'm not sure what her strategy was for placing the students or if their was any regard to personality and behavioral compatibility.   I did notice, during the 3rd grade class period, a group of boys seated together that I would have almost certainly chosen to separate. They just could not focus on their work or stop laughing, making faces, cracking jokes, poking, etc. There was nothing particularly malicious in it, but I ended up spending the entire class period at their table just trying to get them to settle down and stay focused.

This particular class period brings us to our next subject- behavioral issues. Third grade was really problematic and apparently it wasn't just in the art classroom. Even as the students were lined up at the door, there was misbehaving. I didn't exactly see what was going on out there, but before they were all inside, they were asked to go back out in the hall and try again. Their homeroom teacher informed us that she was disappointed that they hadn't done a better job at lining up and entering the room because she had just had a stern discussion with them and they were already losing part of their recess. So the stage was set. A few of the students, including the boys I mentioned earlier, just could not seem to quiet down and listen to save their lives. It seemed like none of the usual tactics worked (The stink eye, the stern, but soft voice, the silent waiting). The struggle continued throughout the class.

Mrs. M  uses a sort of stoplight system to gauge student behavior. She has three magnetic stars on the board- yellow, blue, and red. As students continue to misbehave, stars are taken away. I had only ever seen the yellow star come down when students were getting a little too antsy or not listening.  I'm not exactly sure what consequences are attached to each star, but if a class loses no stars, or at least gains them all back by the end of the class, they are given a “bragin' dragon” pass. I assume that accumulation of these leads to some kind of reward. Usually this system is very effective. When someone notices a star come down, they alert the rest of the class and this usually focuses their attention in just a few seconds. I think, with this 3rd grade class, they were so wound up for some reason, there was just no stopping it. Unfortunately, Mrs. McConnell finally had to raise her voice and get somewhat threatening in order to get them to stop, listen, and clean up. I noticed how time spent on these behavioral issues really inhibits productivity, so having a system which allows you to implement a strategy swiftly and not spend too much time on it is really important.

No comments:

Post a Comment