The one thing that I will treasure most
from my experience in this class is the opportunity to be a part of
such an extraordinary community of learners. I am so inspired by
all the ideas of my classmates, and I'm sure I will spend a good part
of the break trying to organize and collect them all. The sparks are
flying and I'm struggling to get all my ideas down in my journal.
So, a big thanks to all of you for your brilliance!
All that being said, the best way I can
summarize what I gleaned from this class is that it has offered me
the daily bread of teaching. Last semester I embarked on this
program by jumping right in to the deep end and taking a class aimed
at the overarching philosophies and theories which guide our
curriculum development. It was eye opening and invigorating, but I
was eager to get to the nuts and bolts of what teaching is like in
the day to day. Most of my classmates were experienced teachers and
I felt I was lacking that first hand knowledge that allowed them to
apply the theoretical material we were encountering with wisdom and
insight.
This class has offered me a number of
practical tools and copious opportunities for first hand encounters
with students. With these tools and experiences in the pocket of my
smock, I am able to begin building my identity as a teacher. Even
though it has probably been the most challenging aspect of this
experience, I have truly appreciated the art-making opportunities
provided by this class as well. I've really been out of practice for
so long and this class has helped me to better understand the meaning
and direction of my own work. I can't wait to take it forward along
side most of you in the studio thinking class next semester. Because
of this class I feel an increased sense of confidence and I am
looking forward, more than ever, to going forward with my own
development as a teacher, and as
an artist.
No comments:
Post a Comment