Monday, February 4, 2013

The Unconsious

Inspired by Freudian psycho-theory, artists in the early 20th century began examining dreams and the unconscious mind as a repository for repressed human desires and emotions, and a source of new artistic inspiration.  This new and controversial understanding of human psychology led to the surrealist movement in art, influencing numerous other social ideologies and philosophical theories as well.

In the past, I have made my own attempts at keeping a dream journal, as my dreams are often vivid and compelling, hoping to find some kind of common thread or insight therein.  Something like this could be a great source of artistic inspiration if I could find the time and the patience to stick with it.  Perhaps I could devise some sort of free association activity to generate ideas for work. Or perhaps I could actually create a visual diagram of this experiment. This might be particularly interesting to try with students.

No comments:

Post a Comment