Sunday, February 17, 2013

Whiteness

As Bird indicates in today's reading, "whiteness" has been utilized by artists throughout the ages both for its symbolic value and aesthetic characteristics.  As such, naturally white materials such as ivory and marble, prized as artistic mediums,  have become synonymous with classical and/or "high" art in the collective cultural consciousness.

It's difficult for me to hypothesize about how I might use whiteness in my work because, well, I already do....perhaps excessively.  For me, whiteness reveals.  It removes distraction.  There is a serenity to white that I just love to bask in.  Often, when I reach the point where I could add color to a piece, I find that I just can't bring myself to do it, especially if I'm pleased with the form and find it beautiful.  In the absence of color, I find the form so pure, so honest, so naked.  The addition of color just feels, somehow, like covering up.

On the other hand, I am drawn to the use of vivid color and pattern in the work of others, and I would like to dare to go there.  Perhaps there is some fear involved in taking that step.  When I find myself pleased with a form, drawn or sculpted, it's not just my appreciation of it that holds me back.  There's a hesitation to go any further, perhaps for fear of polluting or tainting it somehow.  What I really need to incorporate into my work, more than whiteness, which I am quite comfortable with, is the bravery to boldly embrace color.

No comments:

Post a Comment