To Kelly:
Hey Kelly, in response to your question "what exactly has to be done to
create an environment where all our students feel comfortable enough to
speak their truth?", I think the first step is that we have to model
courage and speak truth ourselves. Like the author said, we have to
make ourselves vulnerable. This is a really scary thought, especially
in our most challenging classroom situations. I think, when things
start to go baldy with a lesson or in terms of classroom behavior, our
instinct is to exercise MORE control and authority. When things aren't
going as we want them to, that's when we feel the most vulnerable
already. So it takes a lot of courage to speak honestly in times like
that. But maybe, if we do, students will respond to our
open-heartedness with understanding.
Congrats on your award, by
the way! So interesting, though, how even positive labels can limit
and burden us. I know how you feel. But you're right...just keep doing
what you do. Obviously, somebody noticed.
To Slamme:
Firstly, I will definitely be checking out those resources for dealing
with underachievers. I have one who has been wreaking havoc on my flow
all semester and I have got to figure out what to do about it.
I
also found this week's reading to be a little "out there" at times,
which is saying quite a bit because I hang around some pretty "out
there" people. Maybe I'm even a little "out there" myself, but there
were a few points I had trouble with. However, I realized several days
later that other parts were still lingering with me, especially as I
people watched. Looking around in crowded restaurants, I found myself
thinking about everyone's need to feel understood and accepted
somewhere. I felt more aware of the knowledge that every individual is
an ocean of experience...that their reality is just as vast as mine. I
felt more connected and empathetic for people than I usually do in the
moment to moment. So, corny as the reading was at times, I feel
grateful that it reminded me of some truths that I had been neglecting.
No comments:
Post a Comment