Saturday, February 1, 2014

Response to Slamme

Sorry I didn't post this here last week.  I guess I didn't "get" that we were supposed to copy our responses here.  Got it now though!

Hey Slamme! Great to be in cyberclass with you again! I, too, noticed that you interpreted the author as saying that great teachers have certain gifts or talents that they're just born with, but I do think (and desperately hope) that most of the things on this list can be cultivated through....well, reflection. (I wonder if that's why Amy had us read this article. She's so smart.)

I'm thinking you must be in agreement with me on this since you went so far as to assess yourself on each of these characteristics and make note of areas where you would like to see improvement. I'm sure all of us were doing the same thing, perhaps less formally, as we read the article. I know I was and I have to believe that if I'm not strong in one of these areas now, that I could improve through reflection and response. That being said, I think a passion for teaching and caring about your students is a basic pre-requisite. If that's not your priority, then it may not be worth your time and effort to try to cultivate the other characteristics and maybe teaching just isn't the job for you.

So in response to whackandsmack's question (sorry whackandsmack, I don't know who you actually are ;) ), I think it's always both. Predisposition and grooming. But either way, you have to have the will to evaluate yourself and improve. You have to care enough to want to. As long as you've got that going for you, I think you can become a better teacher. Much like talent in the arts...many people think it's just a gift you're either born with or you aren't. But we know that anyone can improve as an artist if they are willing to try. If they're encouraged along the way and reinforced with the notion that they have great potential, they are more likely self-identify with the role, which in turn fuels desire to improve. I feel so lucky in this program to have mentors who really see the potential in me and my fellow classmates. Kathy, for example, is particularly great at this. She immediately sniffs out your greatest strengths and constantly reinforces that you have the potential to be a fabulous teacher (and that you already are, in part because you're here and willing to grow in improve yourself for the sake of your students). As much as honest reflection is important, I think so is this kind of positive reinforcement and support.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen! Dont worry, were all getting into the swing of things. I feel like a momma bird nudging (this week..lol) thinking process's out of the nest.
    I would agree whole heartedly that positive reinforcement is a key ingredient in most things! Its awful scary to question and reflect on what your up too if your not sure of the safety (in the form of supportive people) net there when suddenly things get confusing. Our MU community is rather extraordinary in that way.
    Reflecting on your statement about passion for teaching being a prerequisite, Do you think a passion for teaching is really it? Or is it something deeper, a passion for discovering, wondering, creating, exploring.... add to that the innate human capacity to share and commune.....What if we could all allow ourselves the luxury of imaging were about five. That age when most kids imagine they can create anything and all is possible. Combine that with skill and intellect (not the fear and conditioning....leave that in a box someplace) of who we are now. NOW, take that person and imagine your teaching as a blank canvas. No common core, no standards based teaching... no standardized tests.... What would your teaching (and everyones) look like? :) Ready, set GO!

    ReplyDelete