Thursday, February 6, 2014

Week 2 Peer Responses

To Livey:

This whole article was so powerful for me too.  "How can you rubric-ify their meanings that were created?" I mean, ideally students are creating meanings so authentic and original to them that we couldn't have predicted them anyway.  Can our predictions and expectations of student learning actually limit what students learn by placing boundaries and confines around it?  I think if we aren't cognizant of it, it can. 

In response to what Amy was saying, I'm really on a quest to be my whole, authentic self with my students, but I think this takes a lot of courage and grace, especially as a young teacher.  You're still just trying to figure out the nuts and bolts of classroom management and curriculum design.  I often find myself feeling outside myself when I'm teacher, and this is something I'd like to change.  Maybe I need some mindfulness training or a quick little meditation at the beginning of each class.  I think if I could feel more grounded and inside myself, I would also feel more connected with the students.  

To Adair:

I think it's all about reflection, trusting your intuition, and response.  I think it's important that you are recognizing that this particular class of eight graders may need something different right now than some of your other classes.  You can't be too prescriptive about your approach.  You always have to be willing to flex and respond to the situation at hand.  What works?  How will these particular students at this particular moment get the most meaningful experience out of this class?  If they show you that they need more structure, then give them structure, but I would also say, don't let that structure limit students who want to explore deeper depths or greater heights.  Can you provide structure and still allow for individual exploration, choice, and personal investment?  I don't know, but I believe in you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment