Thursday, February 13, 2014

Week 3 Reflective Teaching: Better Late than Never

Last week I shared a struggle I was having with one particular student in my homeschool group.  A big thank you to Amy and Livvy for helping me "reframe" this problem; something I knew I needed to do, but just wasn't sure how.  They helped me to step back from my own expectations and assumptions and let go of my own ego a little in order to relate to this kid where he is.  I am happy to report that the situation seems to be improving already and all it took was a change of heart on my part.  I was feeling so frustrated by the situation, I was finding it hard to have "love" for this kid.  I felt like he was sabotaging all the things I worked so hard on and ruining things for the other students in the process.  Feeling this way toward a student felt awful and I knew there must be more to the story.  Stepping back, I was able to see his insecurities and how they were effecting his behavior.  I was also able to admit that my own preconceptions about how I wanted him to approach his work were preventing me from allowing him to work from where he is right now.

"Reflective action is also a process that involves more than logical and rational problem-solving processes.  Reflection involves intuition, emotion, and passion and is not something that can be neatly packaged as a set of techniques for teachers to use" (p. 10)

Essentially, reflection helped my to have a heart for this kid.  And I can honestly say my feelings about him and the situation have transformed.  Over the weekend, I was out and about browsing around a bookstore when I saw this Minecraft sticker in a dollar bin.  Something stirred in my heart and I bought the sticker.  Despite the fact that I hate what Minecraft has done to some children's creativity, I knew it was more important to show him I supported the things that he cares about and by proxy, that I think about and care about him.  Worked like a charm.  Who knew that stickers could be so powerful? 

"We need to utilize both our heads and our hearts, our reasoning capacities and our emotional insights." (p. 10)

An important part of this equation involved me taking  responsibility for the fact that I wasn't grasping and delivering what this student needs, rather than placing the blame all on him, his parents, society, etc.  Despite the problems he may bring to the classroom with him, it's my job to ensure that he gets something out of this experience, so I had to step back, let go, and find a way.

I think my testimonial here provides a perfect answer to the question posed in chapter 2, "In your own experience as a teacher or prospective teacher, how important has the group context been on helping you to clarify and develop your beliefs?"  Very important, obviously.  I am so appreciative of this learning community.  I just wish every teacher, everywhere could have this experience.  What if? 

1 comment:

  1. YAY KAREN!!!!!!!! Courage and heart! Genuine gestures of recognition for where kids are mean so much to those who feel unseen or misunderstood.!!! Its so easy for kids to disappear into themselves. What a wonderful experience you've both just had.
    You are really putting this into action! Bravo! :)

    ReplyDelete