Sunday, February 16, 2014

Week Four: Visual Metaphor

When I read this assignment, immediately I knew I wanted to create something with a center point that radiates outward to symbolize my desire to be a center of peace and calm in the chaotic sea of the classroom and the educational environment at large. The metaphor I chose is a combination of symbols I keep returning to for one reason or another. In this case, it has to do with a goal of mine, which is to be more inside myself and in the moment when I'm teaching. The piece I created, a set of egg-shaped nesting vessels, is metaphoric on multiple levels. It represents the infinite journey inward, a path that I am on as well as one I hope to lead my students down. The egg is significant because, contained within is an infinity of successive generations, yet it is so beautifully singular. It opens and what's inside takes on a life of its own, combines with new experiences, and the cycle starts over again. In part, I think this is why I teach; to carry something forward into the future. Perhaps it sounds trite, but I recently realized that ultimately, the real reason to teach is love. Without it, all my theories are meaningless – knowledge without wisdom, work without joy. The radiating eggs symbolizes faith, renewal, and the love that nurtures all things. As I wrote in my journal...“The journey inward expands ever outward. If what's inside is nurtured it grows, breaks open, and another inward journey begins. It's cyclical and the egg is the vertex, an infinite turning point. All of the future is contained within the now, the moment. And that's what I want. To be in the moment. To gaze into it and see the possibilities.”

This piece is made of hand built, air dry clay.  Outer egg is approximately 6" x 4".

4 comments:

  1. Elegant simplicity and eloquent simplicity...I can't express just how much I admire these qualities and how much I appreciate you bringing them to the table. Wow, just wow! I can't help but imagine the impact you will have on the students fortunate enough to have you as a their teacher. What a privilege they will have to journey down the path with the guidance of such a wise and insightful leader.

    On a side note, I couldn't help but hear the Beatle's song 'The End', playing in the back of my mind as I read your post and gazed upon your metaphor...“And, in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make.” It's not trite, not in any way, shape, or form, the real reason to teach IS love. ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, I am feeling such joy at knowing you at the beginning of your teaching journey . Your nestled egg metaphor is lovely and ephemeral. Let me ask you this, what holds the egg? :) You are in a sense, incubating as you approach your teaching career (if a traditional classroom is indeed you path?) As you sit with this intensely powerful image of the egg with in egg.... what kind of environment do imagine creating (classroom) to cherish and nurture this egg and rippling lives and creative process's with in?
    This is the perfect metaphor you at this juncture in your teaching life. Beautifully articulated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cosmic egg appears in many creation myths. You have a universal symbol, which is cool. Your visual language is as fluent as your written language.

    I also like how you commented that you want your students to lead their own inward journeys. Knowledge of self is so important.

    If you have an inner calm and direction, so will those around you. I have one teacher in the building who has this 'teacher magic.' The children pick up and and reflect the energy that you give off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am especially into the whiteness of these objects. I love the purity that it represents, the soft texturing of the surfaces, as if they have some age, even in their new-ness. As ever, your heart is always in the right place, right at the center of your universe! Leading through the layers from an inner peace, with the elegance and the purity of the egg and the whiteness. Way to go/grow!! Take care out there Karen!! I am thinking about you!! 1-573-280-4203. Call me anytime (on that new phone-o-yours)

    ReplyDelete